BBB Heading

 

~ A Crossroads Celebration ~

 

~ 241 th Commemoration ~
Battle of Bound Brook:

Living History Weekend at the

Abraham Staats House

April 14th & 15th, 2018

     

Home  Press Release  Flyer  Re-enactors Info  Event Schedule  Location/Directions  www.staatshouse.org
2005 Photos  2006 Photos  2007 Photos  2008 Photo Album  2009 Photo Album 2010 Photo Album  2011 Photo Album 
2013 Photo Album  2014 Photo Album  2015 Photo Album  2016 Photo Album  2017 Photo Album

Huzzah!
The 241th “Battle of Bound Brook” Commemoration
is on for 2018.

It will be held
April 14-15, 2018.

Mark Your Calendars!
Fill your Cartridges. Make Ready.
Please Plan to Join Us.
We shall Engage.


Attention - Re-enacting units and sutlers
Registration for 2018 is open
Go to the
Re-enactors info page for more details



Check this site frequently for more information
as it becomes available.
 


 

Below are some photos taken at previous reenactments

Please feel free to send us a photo from your experience at the event.

send to: webmaster@staatshouse.org

 

photos taken by Jody Gibian-Miles and Tom Harabin

 

        2017 Photo Album

__________________________________________________________________________________

 

About the Battle of Bound Brook

On Sunday, April 13, 1777, a four-column force of 4,000 British Crown troops led by Lord Charles Cornwallis attacked a small American garrison of about 500 commanded by General Benjamin Lincoln and located in the town of Bound Brook. The objective:  surround the town, capture the garrison and provisions located at this patriot stronghold and gain a foothold in the war against the American Revolutionary army. In the surprise attack, an advance column led by Hessian Jaeger scouts fighting for the British were pinned down by Colonial soldiers who put up a spirited resistance at the Old Stone Arch Bridge located near the Queens’ Bridge.

 

The skirmish bought precious time for the bulk of the American force in Bound Brook as British forces poured into the area.  When a second column of 1,000 British soldiers charged over the Queen’s Bridge to attack, the Colonials retreated, escaping the trap.   The American army regrouped in the area later in 1777, in a larger encampment called First Middlebrook.  General George Washington’s army was also settled in the winter and spring of 1778-79 in a Second Middlebrook encampment, in the area of Bound Brook.  Nearly 10,000 troops gathered at Middlebrook, with attendant artillery camps, hospitals, commissaries, post office, artificers, quartermasters stores, corrals and other military operations situated in nearby locations.  General Washington and many of his officers stayed in homes in the area, near to the main encampment. General Baron Frederich von Steuben made his headquarters at the home of Abraham Staats in South Bound Brook, today known as the Abraham Staats House. 


 The Abraham Staats House

17 Von Steuben Lane, South Bound Brook

 

During the American Revolution, the house was owned by American patriot Abraham Staats, marked as an enemy of the Crown by the British. His family hosted General Baron von Steuben, drillmaster of the American Revolutionary Army, who used the house as headquarters during the Second Middlebrook encampment in the winter of 1778-79. Research indicates the earliest portion of the house dates from around 1738, with sections added around 1800 and 1840 by the Staats family, which owned the home for 200  years.  Following the Battle of Bound Brook in April 1777, a retreating British column crossed the Staats’ property, taking items which Abraham later made claim as war damages.  The home was the setting for visits by General George Washington and other key figures during the War.  The Abraham Staats House was purchased by the Borough of South Bound Brook in 1999 for historic preservation.  The South Bound Brook Historic Preservation Advisory Commission and Friends of Abraham Staats House, Inc. are dedicated to preservation of the house, which has been placed on both the State and National Register of Historic Places. 

 


 

Life in Camp

Encampment at The Abraham Staats House

 

The soldiers and camp followers will be living life in camp much as it would have been in 1777.  Visitors may tour the camp, observe camp artifacts and equipment, and see how the troops of the American Revolution, British Crown and American forces, lived and view Camp Food Preparation, Military Training and Drills, Artillery and Small Arms Practice. Members of the reenactor’s units involved in the encampment are dedicated to recreating the history of the American colonial 18th century period through demonstrations, exhibits, lectures, encampments, and interpretations.  Equipment used and clothing worn by members is authentic and documented. The men, women, and children who participate volunteer their time to recreate the lives of everyday people struggling for independence during the American Revolution. Members are encouraged to learn 18th century skills and strive for authenticity in their interpretations.  


The Old Stone Arch Bridge

 

This triple-arch bridge is one of the oldest surviving stone bridges in New Jersey and a rare example of colonial highway engineering. Construction of the bridge was authorized by the Legislature in 1730. It was probably built soon thereafter to span the Green Brook, a channel of the Bound Brook, and form part of a causeway that crossed a large area of marshy ground along the Bound Brook and Raritan River. The bridge played a significant role in the defense of Bound Brook during the Revolutionary War, and it is one of the few existing battlefield resources in New Jersey for which a first-hand action account exists. The diary of Hessian officer Johann von Ewald records the fighting along the causeway during the Battle of Bound Brook in April 1777. Made of locally quarried rough sandstone and shale, the bridge spans the boundary between Somerset and Middlesex counties and the boroughs of Bound Brook and Middlesex. Approximately 85 feet long and 33 feet wide, its remains are almost completely buried by fill on its north side; on the south side they are exposed above the top of the arches, including two large buttresses, one of which is relatively intact. (Excerpt from “Preservation New Jersey: www.preservationnj.org )


 

The Old Presbyterian Graveyard

 

This two acre site, the first established cemetery of the Bound Brook Presbyterian Church, was active as a burial ground between about 1725 and 1900. Between 1,000 and 1,500 people may have been laid to rest in marked or unmarked graves. Verified information exists for about 670 decedents, including forty Revolutionary War soldiers (two were Loyalists), as well as soldiers who served in the French and Indian War, the Whiskey Rebellion of Pennsylvania, the Mexican War and the Civil War. Dr. William McKissack, a captain in the Revolutionary War and a founder of the Grand Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons for the State of New Jersey, is perhaps the most widely known individual buried in the graveyard.


The Friends of Abraham Staat NJHC Grant

 

Visit NJ Logo SCCHC Someret County Business Partnership

The Friends of the Abraham Staats House, Inc. is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization which has received an operating support grant from the New Jersey Historical Commission, a division of the Department of State though the State/County History Partnership Program Grant, and administered in Somerset County by the Somerset County Cultural & Heritage Commission

Battle of BB Footing

Sponsors of the Battle of Bound Brook : South Bound Brook Historic Preservation Advisory Commission, Friends of Abraham Staats House, with Contributions by the Somerset County Cultural and Heritage Commission, the Borough of South Bound Brook, the Borough of Bound Brook, the Sheriff’s Dept. of Somerset County, Elmer's Catering.

  For Information on becoming a sponsor or to give a donation please e-mail us at  info@staatshouse.org.

Home  www.staatshouse.org  Re-enactors Info  Event Schedule  Location/Direction  Privacy
2005 Photos  2006 Photos  2007 Photos  2008 Photo Album  2009 Photo Album  2010 Photo Album  2011 Photo Album 
2013 Photo Album  2014 Photo Album  2015 Photo Album  2016 Photo Album  2017 Photo Album

Abraham Staats House Copyright

Copyright 2006-2018 Friends of Abraham Staats House, Inc.  All rights reserved.    For additional information contact us at: info@staatshouse.org